Tuesday, July 10, 2012

The Daily 5 Book Study - Chapter 4 - My Notes

I am participating in the book study at  We Read, We Blog, We Teach.

Chapter 4 Read to Self 

"Having children read to themselves is the first step in Daily Five and is the foundation for creating independent readers and writers" (pg. 46).

When I was in elementary school, I always felt like there was never enough time for me to do what I really wanted to do, which was of course read to my self.  That is one thing that I really love about the Daily 5 is the opportunity that the students have to read books of their own choice - how motivating!

Then this is where I really have questions - the Sisters advocate teaching three ways to read a book - is this necessary for older kids who are reading chapter books?  Any thoughts from teachers who have been there done that?

The Sisters advocate working with your students to develop an I-chart that tells them what they should be doing as readers during read to self.

After a few minutes of modeling, the students practice for 3 minutes, debrief, and try again.  Each day students work to increase their stamina.




2 comments:

  1. I am your newest follower. Thanks for being a follower of my blog. Yes, I do love being on the second floor, I get lots of exercise during the day!!
    Darleen
    Third Grade Love

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am your newest follower. I am leaving you the Versatile Blogger award. Pick it up at Homemade First Grade http://homemadefirstgrade.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...