Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Must Have Picture Books

When I first saw the Teacher Wife's Must Have Picture Books post and linky I knew that my Amazon wish list was going to explode because I LOVE pictures books! I also love giving people picture book reading ideas - I am usually the person that my teacher friends ask when they want a good book recommendation for teaching a certain skill or just for finding a book that their kids will love.  Here are a few of my faves:

Pete the Cat is one of my all time favorites!  I just love the beat of the song that goes with it along with the idea that Pete the Cat never gets upset when his beautiful new shoes get dirty - he just keeps going along singing his song.  I think it really teaches a great lesson about resilience. If you want to hear the book and the song - you have to check out the video below - its how I first learned about this book!






The second book on my list would be Knuffle Bunny.  After you debate how to read the first word (is it "nuffle" or "ka-nuffle"? LOL) you will just love this cautionary tale by Mo Willems about a little girl who loses her beloved stuffed friend.  The illustrations (real pictures mixed with drawings) are amazing, and both kids and adults can relate to the fear (for both the child and the parents) when a beloved friend is lost.

And my list just would not be complete without EVERY Skippyjon Jones book.  Thank you Kohls for choosing these books this year!  I love the vocabulary, the play on words, and the inference practice to be had with the Spanish words used in the series.  And as a mother of boys, I can totally relate to this naughty boy cat with a wild imagination!

If your own Amazon Wish list needs a bit more added to it - be sure to check out the other posts at the linky! 

The Teacher Wife

3 comments:

  1. I am a big fan of all of your book choices!! I just found your blog & I am a new follower! :)
    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Skippyjon! He has some crazy adventures! I am a new follower

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Knuffle Bunny books are just so adorable! I would love to read them to my kiddos and they would ALWAYS pick those for independent reading time.

    Make sure to stop by and enter my giveaway
    -Courtney
    2ndgradesnapshots.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...