Monday, October 22, 2012

Ways To Show Multiplication Lesson

I had planned this amazing lesson based on this Pinterest Idea  I had seen awhile ago. Instead of marshmallows, I planned on using Fruit Loops.
Pinned Image

Well... my third graders had completely different ideas and hijaked my lesson.  And while their ideas were not as "pretty" as the Pinterest pin - they really involved mathematical thinking on their parts.

Counting his fruit loops in his array. (Love the use of our laundry basket a.k.a. lunch basket for a work surface!)


Hard at work - they decided to draw Jenga multiplication tiles to pick out their math facts.


Close to what I had in mind -multiple ways of showing his thinking!


I love how these kiddos decided to use the Fruit Loops to make the sixes!


I love their word problem!  63 goats!  Future textbook writers for sure!  (Love the improvisation when they ran out of fruit loops.)

And one of my favorites - explaining his thinking in his Diary of a Wimpy Kid Book (this kid carries it EVERWHERE!).

Do your students ever "hijack" your lesson?
How do you get your kiddos to engage in mathematical thinking?

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...