Jennifer Smith-Sloane from 4mulaFun
Meg Anderson from Fourth Grade Studio
Jamie Riggs from MissMathDork
and Jennifer Findley from Teaching to Inspire 5th Grade
for this book study on What's Your Math Problem!?!
If you missed my previous posts you can find them here:
Chapter 3 - Getting Started Strategies
This chapter focuses on four strategies:
- Restate the problem in your own words
- The first read is to provide a general familiarity with the information in the problem.
- The second read helps you to put the problem into your own terminology, focusing on the specifics of the problem.
- The third read helps you reduce the problem to only relevant ideas.
- Identify wanted, given, and needed information
- Identify a subgoal
- Select appropriate notation
This chapter reminded me of a resource that I was given during our unit revision workshop.