Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Organizing Research Writing


When I worked on the Common Core Units and District Assessments, I had the opportunity to work with some AMAZING teachers from all around our district.  One of the teachers there shared this organizational system for research that she uses with her students during the research unit for 4th grade. In our district several grades have to write research papers, so it could work for many grades.  I remember using a similar system with note cards when I learned how to write a research paper in 7th grade.  I love the way that her system stores the note cards though!  I am sharing some quick pics I snapped with my iphone, but I will share more when I use this with my students this upcoming school year.

The blue strip at the bottom is construction paper stapled to the folder (which is legal size).


The fabulous teacher who shared this with us told us that she just has the secretary at her school order library card envelopes (240 = 8 per student X  30).  The other teachers and I mentioned that you could make the envelopes yourself with construction paper or cut envelopes.  I have seen these at the Dollar Tree as well.


Here is a close-up of a few of the cards out of the pockets.  I LOVE this idea and can't wait to use it with my kiddos! 

How do you teach research writing?

2 comments:

  1. That's clever! I wonder how I could adapt that for my 3rd graders. Hmmm.... ;0)

    Jessica
    Teach on a Limb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely think it is adaptable - Perhaps have each pocket be a different paragraph or subject. For example - if you were writing animal reports the pockets could be - What it eats, Where it lives, How it cares for its young, etc.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...